Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Why do adults make teaching so hard?!

Hello, everyone!  I hope you have been doing well these past few days since I last posted. I've had some tough times, so I am hoping you aren't going through the same!!

Ok.  Now to talk about the intention of this post!  There is always one question that I have when I'm having a rough day at school - Why do the adults make this so hard?!

Every day, I hear something negative about my class.  Granted, we are a little chatty and are having some girl-drama issues, but overall, we are a GOOD class.  They have so much potential and so much to offer.  I love their little souls so stinkin' much.

I start my day with the slogan "Choose Happiness, Choose Positivity."  I do really well with this, until another adult walks in and starts to drain my happiness and positivity.  They like to mention all of the negative things that happened the day before.  Down goes positivity and happiness for the morning.  Shortly after, the kids come in, and are themselves, and make my morning beautiful.

Then, recess and lunch happen.  Again - more negatives from adults about my 9- and 10-year olds.  Ok, ok, I'll handle it, I tell them.  And I do.

Thirty minutes later, specials.  Fifty minutes later, more negatives!!  "They're just awful," "They can't listen or follow any directions," and all of a sudden I feel like Charlie Brown listening to his teacher.  You know the sound - waah, waah, waahwaah, wah wah wahh.  The next hour with them is basically RUINED!!!  I ask for positives from those same adults, but they can't ever think of any at the time.

So, like I said, day is ruined!  I know I can't force them to behave while I'm not with them, but there's got to be something I can do.  I've already told my principal that I am going to go to specials with them and observe them, to see if there is anything I can do to reinforce our (mostly) positive behaviors in the classroom together.  I'm not saying this will completely fix what is broken, and I can't do it every single day (as it is my plan time), but something has got to give here!!

It brings me down so much because I used to be the teacher that would go in, observe, and help make changes to other teacher's students.  Last year, which was my first year in the regular ed. classroom (6 years in Special Education, big focus on behavior), my students absolutely spoiled me.  Daily!!  These new lovebugs of mine are far more spirited.  It is so hard for me to be happy and positive everyday when I don't get happy and positive feedback from the adults who are supposed to be my support system.

Please.  Give me your suggestions!!  I am willing to try anything at this point, just to save my sanity.  Ha ha :)

Choose happiness, choose positivity, my friends!!  I am going to practice what I preach!!

No comments:

Post a Comment